At Design for Change we’re taking the time to listen to our educator community!
We are living in a moment unlike any other; a time that has highlighted the injustices across all of our systems. Our team has connected with students and educators from coast to coast, to gain better insights into their hopes, fears and dreams for the future. We’ve also been paying close attention to the critical themes that have been identified as being important to teach and learn, given how the world has changed.
With these insights in mind, we have narrowed down three themes to anchor student work around Design for Change:
- Racial Justice
- Educational Equity
- Environmental Action
The above themes will not be treated as mutually exclusive. In fact, students will be encouraged to apply a specific perspective to their chosen theme to deepen their understanding about the topic e.g., how does air pollution disproportionately affect communities of color?
I Get It, But How?
To equip educators in supporting students to reflect, discuss and act, we will develop a set of tools aligned to each theme, including the following:
- A bundle of curated Empathy and Inspiration Podcasts
- Theme-specific Feel, Imagine, Do, Share activities
- Supporting resources around each theme, including books, images, articles and links to the work of expert partner organizations
I’m Intrigued, What’s Next?
We appreciate your support as we learn to adapt the Design for Change model to reflect our current reality. We can’t do it alone. We need your continued insights.
- If you are an educator willing to share how you see Design for Change working in your context starting September, we’d love to hear from you. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do you know of great projects happening in your community to address Racial Justice, Educational Equity, or Environmental Action? If so, we’d love to hear from you. Email us at email@example.com.
We know that you are preparing for so many unknowns right now. We assure you that at Design for Change USA, we are committed to being intentional and thoughtful as we redesign our resources to be responsive to our current reality.
We look forward to working together to help young people address the critical needs in our world!
DFC USA Team